Last Sunday was waffle day. I tried to make them gluten-free & vegan as loose as possible, so that the whole family is happy with it and does not have to “suffer” when someone eats gluten-free here. And this recipe turned out really well for me! I was totally thrilled myself and the best thing is when you bake glutenfei and no one tastes the difference. What is just a little annoying that you do not even quickly spelt flour mixed with salt and baking powder but for the gluten-free mixture needs a few more ingredients. But who often bakes gluten-free, has the ingredients anyway already at home or can use them again and again well. Part of the flour mixture is ground tiger nuts. (Ground tiger nuts are available in health food stores, well-stocked drugstores and health food stores. A larger selection is also available from the Govinda brand). You can also replace them with almond flour. Tigernuts are also called tigernuts or chufa. So really on the note I had them only after a Barcelona visit. There it was announced ‘Horchata de Chufa’ (tiger nut milk) to drink. Like from an ice cream parlor one bought cooled tiger nut milk alternatively with or without extra sugar. My friend, who lived in Spain for a few years, told me that this was more a trend of the elderly. But I do not care — it was really refreshing and I at the time already sharply at the 38. Whole tiger nuts you can soak in water and snack as a sweet, very high-fiber nut alternaitve.
With the waffles we had unsweetened coconut yogurt, passion fruit and honey. Actually, I would eat the waffles simply hot with powdered sugar, without much schnickschnack. But probably there are umpteen variations and depending on vegan or not, you will certainly find something great for you.
Gluten Free poppyseed waffles with passionfruit
- 10 g poppyseeds roasted
- 100 g light rice flour
- 100 g ground tiger nuts almonds also work
- 80 g food starch potato or corn
- 10 g cream of tatar baking poweder (weinstein backpulver)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp psyllium husk powder
- 80 g sugar or birch sugar /coconut blossom sugar
- 80 g vegetable butter liquid
- 130 g apple pulp sugarfree
- 250 ml plant milk gluten-free or milk
- 250 g plant yogurt gluten-free
- 3 passsion fruits
- maple syrup date syrup or honey
- Mix the dry ingredients together. Stir in liquid ingredients evenly to form a smooth dough. Allow to swell for 10 minutes. Heat the waffle iron. Pour approx. 2 tbsp. of batter per waffle into the greased waffle iron. Bake for about 4–5 minutes until golden brown, remove carefully and let cool on a cooling rack. Serve plain or with passion fruit, yogurt and maple syrup.